As published in Selling Power Blog, August 18, 2011
What are the critical steps in writing a successful Sales Territory Plan?
You may be wondering, “Where do I start?” The key is asking the right questions to gather the insights you need to generate a winning plan. Use this checklist as a guide.
1. Analyze your Territory/Business
Start with what is going on in your territory/vertical market.
- What are the key trends in your geography/ market?
- Who are your top prospects and customers?
- What are customers buying?
- Based on your conversion rates, how much business do you need in your funnel?
- What is the gap between what you need in your funnel and what you have now?
Here are the other 6 points:
2. Understand what Drives Customers to Buy
Understand why they are buying or not buying your products.
3. Clarify your Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT)
Conduct a SWOT analysis.
4. Determine your Objectives
Consolidate the above trends into a few powerful objectives. Write specific, measurable goals.
5. Develop Strategies to Accomplish your Goals
Generate the top strategies to win.
6. Engage the Resources you Need
Enroll the people and gather the insight you need.
7. Create and Work your Plan
Use your plan as a guide to achieve your goals.
Creating and implementing a well thought-out plan greatly improves your probability of success!
Read the article on Selling Power Blog.Tags: account business plan, account management, account management plan, account planning, account research, sales leadership, sales management, sales plan, sales planning, strategic account management, strategic account plan, territory planning